Manage your agency’s records with confidence. The Mississippi Department of Archives and History is responsible for implementing Mississippi’s laws on records management.
Our staff is available for free consultations on how to manage your records, including records retention schedules, proper disposal methods, management of electronic records, and interaction with the state records center and state archives.
Our hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Please contact our government records archivist to schedule a time to review your records prior to transfer to the state archives. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601-576-6880.
We offer the following resources to help you manage your state records.
- Retention of Electronic Records
Electronic Records are subject to the same retention guidelines as paper records and existing retention schedules apply to all records regardless of format unless noted otherwise in the approved retention period.
- Legal Guidance
MS Archives and Records Management Law (25-59-1)
MS Public Records Law (25-61-1)
- Rules & Regulations
State Records Center
The State Records Center provides low-cost storage of records with short-term value to state agencies. Records stored at the State Records Center must be covered by an approved records control schedule.
The Records Center provides the following services:
- Free transportation of storage boxes to the records center (only within Jackson)
- Free return of boxes in the event of an audit or litigation
- Free destruction of records stored at the records center
- Free computer back-up tape rotation and storage for agency IT offices
Boxes that are sent to the State Records Center must meet the following specifications:
- Boxes must be brown corrugated, single piece construction
- 15d”x12h”x10w”, 200 lbs. test, 42 lbs. Kraft with no deviation, C-flute, glued or taped, with an edge crush test of 32 lbs.
- Gross weight limit of 65 lbs.
How to Send Your Records to the State Records Center
I want to:
- Transfer New Records
- Complete the Transmittal Form (SRC 102) .
- Email form to email@example.com. Forms sent via hand-mail or fax will experience significant delays.
- Pack records in boxes that meet the center’s specifications.
- Complete the Box Label form and affix to the short end of boxes.
- State Records Center staff will pick up the records.
- Request Records
If you need to request records that are currently stored at the center, follow the directions below to have them delivered to your agency. This is normally used if there is an audit or litigation.
- Return Records
If the State Records Center staff returned some of your records and you need them stored again, follow the directions below.
- Request Approval for Off-Site Storage
If your agency is unable to store records at the agency’s office or the State Records Center and wants to use an off-site vendor, follow the directions below.
- Complete the Off-Site Lease Application.
- Submit the application for approval by the State Records Committee prior to the execution of a contract.
- The application must be mailed to the Government Records Section at P.O. Box 571, Jackson MS 39205-0571 and received at least 60 days prior to the Committee meeting.
- DFA will not allow funds to be expended for off-site storage without approval from MDAH and the State Records Committee.
- Computer Back-up Tape Rotation
If you want to add your agency to this rotation/storage service, please call 601-354-7386.
Note: Forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader, available free at adobe.com. To save data entered in these forms, you must use the Save button in the Acrobat Reader toolbar—not your browser’s toolbar. If your version of Reader does not show the button in the toolbar, right-click the top Acrobat Reader toolbar, and select “More Tools…” Scroll down to “File Toolbar” and make sure the “Save a copy” box is checked. You may also save the documents and work offline.
To ensure timely and accurate assistance with your request, state agencies are encouraged to forward all Reference Requests and Transmittals as e-mail attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may experience a delay if you fax or hand-mail your request.
The State Records Committee meets the third Thursday of January, April, July, and the 4th Thursday in October. Meetings are held at 10 a.m. in the Board Room of the William F. Winter Archives & History Building located at 200 North Street, Jackson, Mississippi.
The State Records Committee is composed of the secretary of state, state auditor, governor, Health Department, and the director of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. The director of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History serves as chairperson of the committee.
Retention schedules presented to the committee are available for public comment thirty (30) days prior to the meeting or may be obtained by contacting the Government Records Office. When possible, the proposed retention schedules are posted on this site.
Written public comments may be submitted to Government Records Office.
Application for Records Storage Lease
An Off-Site Lease Application designated by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History will be used to obtain approval for the storage of government records at a private storage facility.
There are no applications for records storage lease at this time.
The next State Records Committee Meeting is scheduled for July 16, 2020.