MDAH is now accepting applications for the 2023 Eudora Welty Research Fellowship. Offered in partnership with the Eudora Welty Foundation, this annual fellowship awards a $5,000 stipend to one graduate student to conduct research using the Eudora Welty Collection at MDAH for two weeks during the summer. The deadline is March 3, 2023.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Eudora Welty Fellowship?
The $5,000 fellowship will be awarded to a graduate student for research within the department’s Eudora Welty Collection. The fellowship seeks to nurture scholars at the beginning of their academic careers in order to increase their lifelong interest in, and promote continued academic and public appreciation of, Eudora Welty’s life and works.
- Who is eligible?
The fellowship recipient must be enrolled in a graduate program at an accredited college or university, with preference given to a doctoral student.
- What does the fellowship include?
The fellow is expected to be in residence for a minimum of two weeks—from May to September 2023—to conduct research in the Eudora Welty Collection housed at the William F. Winter Archives and History Building in Jackson, MS. A stipend of $5,000 will be awarded to defray those costs.
At the conclusion of the two-week stay, the fellow will be asked to give a presentation and submit a summary report on the fellow’s research findings.
- What can the $5,000 stipend be used for?
- Other expenses during the recipient’s time researching at the archives.
- What costs are ineligible?
- Computer equipment (hardware or software)
- Photo framing/matting
- How will the stipend be disbursed?
The stipend will be paid in increments, with the final payment given upon submission of the summary report.
- How do I apply?
Complete the fellowship application form available here and submit the following documents:
- Proposal (no more than five pages, typed, double-spaced, details on the application form)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation from your academic advisor
- Supporting materials may be submitted but are not required
- What is the deadline?
Application deadline for the Eudora Welty Fellowship is March 3, 2023.
- How do I use MDAH’s catalog to search the Eudora Welty Collection?
Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Eudora Welty Collection and incorporate that information in their application.
Click here for instructions on how to access the catalog and Eudora Welty Collection.
- When will the fellowship recipient be notified?
The fellowship recipient be notified no later than April 28, 2023.
- Will MDAH and/or organizations use the research findings?
The Welty Foundation and MDAH will have the opportunity to utilize the product(s) if they are deemed appropriate and of benefit to the sponsoring parties.
- Who do I contact for more information?
For additional information and questions about the Eudora Welty Fellowship, email firstname.lastname@example.org.