Rodney Road, Port Gibson, Mississippi 39150
31.9406° N, 91.1295° W
Sunday–Saturday, dawn until dusk
Mingo Tingle, MDAH Technical Preservation Services
Windsor Plantation was built for Smith Coffee Daniell II in 1861. The house, one of the largest private residences in the state before the Civil War, was constructed near the town of Bruinsburg, where Union soldiers crossed the Mississippi River and to begin their attack on Vicksburg. In 1890, a fire destroyed the residence but left standing its twenty-nine enormous columns.
Windsor Ruins Today
More than a century of exposure to the elements has caused erosion to the 45-foot-tall masonry columns and fracturing of the cast iron capitals. In 2016, MDAH commissioned architectural conservator George Fore to study the site. Fore’s report, submitted to the department in early 2017, includes recommendations to repair and conserve the twenty-three columns and five partial columns. The MDAH board of trustees selected WFT Architects, P.A., to develop architectural plans for the stabilization project.
Lawson Newman, the project architect for the restoration of the Mississippi State Capitol, will serve in that same role for the Windsor stabilization project. Temporary fencing has been erected to protect visitors at the site from falling debris.
Windsor Ruins was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, acquired by MDAH in 1974, and designated a Mississippi Landmark in 1985.
Directions: From U.S. Hwy 61 north of Lorman, take the Alcorn State University exit and proceed west on Hwy 552. Go past the Alcorn entrance and continue west and then north on 552. There are Windsor Ruins signs along the way. The entrance to Windsor Ruins is on the right about 3 miles past the Alcorn entrance. Call 601-576-6952 or email email@example.com for more information.