MDAH is now accepting applications for the 2023 Medgar and Myrlie Evers Research Fellowship. Offered in partnership with the Medgar & Myrlie Evers Institute, this annual fellowship awards a $5,000 stipend to one graduate student to conduct research using the Evers Papers and other archival collections at MDAH for two weeks during the summer. The deadline is March 24, 2023.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Medgar and Myrlie Evers Research Fellowship?
The $5,000 fellowship will be awarded to a graduate student for research within the department’s Civil Rights and human history. The fellowship seeks to nurture scholars at the beginning of their academic careers to increase their lifelong interest in history and promote continued academic and public appreciation of Medgar and Myrlie Evers’s life and works, the Civil Rights Movement in Mississippi, and the struggle for human rights.
- Who is eligible?
The fellowship recipient must be a student enrolled in a graduate program at an accredited college or university, or a faculty member within the first five years of their academic career.
- What does the fellowship include?
The fellow is expected to be in residence for a minimum of two weeks—from June to August 2023—to conduct research in the William F. Winter Archives and History Building in Jackson, Mississippi. At the conclusion of the two-week stay, the fellow will be asked to give a presentation and submit a summary report on the fellow’s research findings.
- What can the $5,000 stipend be used for?
- Other expenses during the recipient’s time researching at the archives.
- What costs are ineligible?
- Computer equipment (hardware or software)
- How will the stipend be disbursed?
The stipend will be paid in increments, with the final payment given upon submission of the summary report.
- How do I apply?
Complete the fellowship application form available here and submit the following documents:
- Proposal (no more than five pages, typed, double-spaced, details on the application form)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
- Sample work (20 pages maximum)
- What is the deadline?
Application deadline for the Medgar and Myrlie Evers Research Fellowship is March 24, 2023.
- When will the fellowship recipient be notified?
The fellowship recipient be notified no later than April 28, 2023.
- Will MDAH and/or organizations use the research findings?
The Medgar & Myrlie Evers Institute and MDAH will have the opportunity to utilize the product(s) if they are deemed appropriate and of benefit to the sponsoring parties.
- Who do I contact for more information?
For additional information and questions about the Medgar and Myrlie Evers Fellowship, email email@example.com.