Freedom Riders Journey For Change
- Lesson One: Separate But Equal PDF file: 1,813 KB
Students will understand the history of segregation laws and practices that lead to the Freedom Rides and the Civil Rights Movement.
- Lesson Two: A Freedom Rider’s Journey PDF file: 233 KB
Students will learn about the 1961 Freedom Rides, the riders, the challenges faced along the way, the impact of the rides on the civil rights movement, and the nation’s awareness of segregation in the south.
- Lesson Three: Who Makes a Movement? PDF file: 1,381 KB
Through historic images and documents students will learn about the riders, the authorities, and everyday citizens who helped them.
- Lesson Four: Making Change Happen PDF file: 274 KB
Discover and discuss the legacy of the Freedom Rides in Mississippi and the country: subsequent movements, integration in the south, and the effects on our life today.
- Vocabulary PDF file: 174 KB
- Bibliography PDF file: 88 KB
- Further Reading PDF file: 88 KB
- Evaluation PDF file: 171 KB