Lower Elementary Lesson Plans (Kindergarten – Grade 3)
These lessons are adaptable for multiple grade levels and specific subject matter.
Note: all files are in PDF format.
- Friendly Letter Writing (grades 3-5, language arts) file size: 304 KB
Students will read the primary document, a letter written by A. Hutchins in 1797 during Mississippi’s territorial days, and compare it to letters written today and the different types of letter writing.
- A Lyrical History of Mississippi (grades K-5, music) file size: 13,620 KB
Students will sing and move to various styles of music written about Mississippi’s history by Mississippi composers. Songs include “The Mississippi Flood Song” by Jed Hopkins and “The Mississippi March” by Onie Potts.
- A Mississippian in Antarctica (grades 3-5, language arts, math, social studies) file size: 630 KB
Using a primary source document, close reading tactics, and math, students will learn about native Mississippian Alton N. Parker and his role in the Richard Byrd Antarctic Expedition of 1928-1930.
- Native American Mound Construction (grades 3-6, math) file size: 249 KB
Students will gain an understanding of the Native American mound builders in Mississippi and calculate the amount of soil used in the construction of a mound.
- Using Mississippi Footprints to Build a Community (grades 2-4, language arts, social studies) file size: 4,929 KB
Students will learn to evaluate personal learning choices, synthesize information, develop insight into the characteristics of community building, and analyze their conviction and commitment to educational success.