Household Receipts

On October 1, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

Call number Z/1129.000, MDAH collection.

Among the Manship family papers at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History is a notebook that belonged to Charlie Manship, probably Charles Phelps Manship, son of Luther and Belmont Manship and grandson of Charles Henry and Adaline Manship.  The notebook contains school notes as well as several pages of hand-written recipes.  Although the the contributors of the recipes are unknown, Mrs. McGill was most likely Mary Elizabeth Boyd McGill, daughter of James Hervey Boyd.  The Boyd family lived on Jefferson Street in the “Oaks” house.


Four O’Clocks

On September 19, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

Mirabilis jalapa was a favorite in Victorian gardens.  Commonly known as the four-o’clock flower or the marvel of Peru, flowers usually open in late afternoon around four o’clock and remain open until morning.  An 1876 garden catalog  describes the plant as “a great favorite, combining beauty of foliage, profusion of bloom, of rich and varied colors, and delicious fragrance.”



Manship Garden

On September 5, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

The Manship garden contains varieties of flowers and vegetables popular in the late nineteenth century.  The Brandywine tomato is an heirloom variety dating back to 1885.  The plant produces large pink fruit with potato-leaved foliage.  Considered to be one of the best tasting tomatoes, it has been a popular variety for generations.


Love Lies Bleeding

On August 29, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

Amaranthus caudatus in the Manship garden.

Greatly admired for its striking long red flowers, Amaranthus caudatus was a favorite in Victorian gardens. Commonly known as love lies bleeding or tassel flower, the plant gets its unusual name from its long drooping red flowers that can reach over twelve inches in length.  A member of the amaranth family, love lies bleeding is an easy to grow annual with edible leaves and seeds.  The flowers can be dried  and used for arrangements.


AmeriCorps Returns to Manship

On August 8, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

AmeriCorps team members at work in the Visitors Center.

The Manship House Museum  was recently selected to host an AmeriCorps team  for a one day project.  The team of eight worked on grounds clean-up, removing nuisance vegetation and yard debris, and painting several rooms in the Visitors Center.  The work completed by AmeriCorps will help the site prepare for re-opening.


Happy Birthday

On July 31, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

Personal record of his life, written by Charles Henry Manship. Call number Z/1129.000 MDAH collection.

On this day in 1812, Charles Henry Manship was born in Talbot county, Maryland.  The eldest son of Noah and Rebecca Sangston Millington Manship, Charles Henry grew up in a blended household with older half siblings.  After the death of his father Noah, the family moved to Baltimore, where Charles Henry was apprenticed to learn the trade of ornamental chair painting.  In November, 1835, Manship boarded a ship to New Orleans and worked his way up the river until reaching Jackson in February, 1836.  Manship soon found work as a skilled craftsman on the statehouse, state penitentiary, and governor’s mansion.  In 1838, Charles Henry and Adaline Daley were married.  The couple had fifteen children, ten of whom survived to adulthood.  Manship was active in the community, and served in public office for over fifty years.  Late in life, Charles Henry Manship recorded some of the significant events of his long life in hand written accounts for each of his children.


Manship Garden

On July 25, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

The new Manship garden is off to a great start.   The first planting contains flowers and vegetables that were popular in the nineteenth century.  We know from family recollections that the Manship family had a vegetable garden north of the Manship House, on what is now the Baptist Hospital parking lot.


Belmont Phelps Manship

On July 17, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

Mary Belmont Phelps Manship, ca. 1880. Call number Z/1129.000 MDAH collection.

Mary Belmont Phelps Manship (1862-1898) was born in Huntsville, Alabama and educated at Whitworth College in Brookhaven, Mississippi.  In 1881, Belmont and Luther Manship were married in Magnolia, Mississippi.  Luther Manship, the ninth of fifteen children of Charles Henry and Adaline Manship, was a prominent lecturer who served as Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi from 1908 to 1912.  Both Luther and Belmont Manship were concerned for the welfare of the Civil War veterans, and Belmont Manship was an instrumental force in the construction of a monument to honor Mississippi’s Confederate dead.

On June 16, 1886, Belmont Manship and several other concerned women met in the Senate Chamber at the Old Capitol and organized the Confederate Monument Association of Mississippi.  Their mission was to raise funds for a monument honoring the Confederate dead of Mississippi, to be located on the south Capitol Green, an area that is now the front lawn of the Charlotte Capers Archives and History Building.  The first funds for the monument resulted from a concert organized by Mr. and Mrs. Luther Manship that featured a variety of songs and recitations performed by local talent.  For several more years, the ladies of the Confederate Monument Association continued their struggle to raise funds, and in 1888 the legislature passed a bill appropriating $10,000 to complete the monument.

The birthday of Jefferson Davis, June 3, 1891, was chosen as the date for the official dedication of the Monument.  A parade of Civil War veterans, the Mississippi National Guard, officers of the Ladies’ Monument Association, members of the family of the late Jefferson Davis, and other dignitaries, processed from the City Hall to witness the unveiling by Jefferson Davis Hayes, grandson of Jefferson Davis.  It was estimated that twenty thousand people from fourteen states witnessed the unveiling of the Confederate Monument.

Luther and Belmont Manship had six children; Charles Phelps, Luther, Belmont, Douglas James, William Lewis, and Elizabeth Theresa Manship.  Belmont Manship died in 1898 at age 36.


John Ray Skates, Mississippi’s Old Capitol: Biography of a Building (Jackson: Mississippi Department of Archives and History, 1990).

The Daily Clarion-Ledger, June 3, 1891, Jackson, Mississippi.




Ginger Cake

On July 3, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

Kate Manship’s recipe for a good ginger cake. Accession number: M1984.3.7 (MDAH Museum Division collection)

This handwritten recipe was found in Kate Manship’s cookbook, Common Sense in the Household: A Manual of Practical Housewifery, published in 1872:

A Good Ginger Cake

without butter, sugar, or eggs – Two coffee cups of syrup.  Put in your mixing bowl.  Stir in sifted flour until you can stir in no more (it should be stiff enough to crumble)  Add two large kitchen spoonfuls of lard melted.  Add ginger and spice to taste.  Last stir in gradually 1 1/2 cups of Boiling Water in which is dissolved four teaspoonfuls of cooking soda.  Bake slowly for about until quite done but not dry  About one pound of raisins in above quantity makes a very nice cake –




Charles Henry Manship

On June 27, 2014, in Manship House, by mjones

Death notice for C. H. Manship. Call number Z/1129.000, MDAH collection.

Mr. Chas. H. Manship, one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of Jackson, died at his home on Fortification street last Friday about 6’oclock.

For the past year or two Mr. Manship had been quite feeble and realized that he was near the end of his earthly pilgrimage.  But death had no terrors for him; he expressed himself as ready to obey at any time the summons of the Master he had served so long and faithfully, so that his family and friends do not doubt he is asleep in Jesus.  Though the end was expected and every one prepared for the announcement, the news that “Mr. Manship is dead” brought sorrow to many homes in Jackson and elsewhere.

Mr. Manship’s voyage over the dark river was sudden and painless.  He was walking up and down his gallery with his wife when he said to her, “I do not feel very well and will sit down.”  He sat down in an easy chair and at that moment his spirit took flight – he was dead.

Mr. Manship is a part of the history of Jackson, in fact the record could not be complete without him.  When, in 1835, before the era of railroads, he walked from Vicksburg to Jackson, he found a little village of but a few hundred inhabitants.  With them he pitched his fortunes and has seen a proud city grow up around him.

He had seen the old stage coach give way to the locomotive and palace cars; he had seen the telegraph and telephone lines built; he had seen the electric lights take the place of tallow dips; he had seen the waters of the Pearl River turned through our streets and houses; he had seen magnificent educational structures supercede the old log school house; he had seen palatial residences built where once stood squalid cabins; he had seen handsome brick stores erected on sites once occupied by low and dingy groggeries; he had seen forests felled to make room for growing grain and cotton; he had seen thousands of other changes of a scientific and material nature; he had experienced the horrors of war and terrors of pestilence; he had filled positions of honor and of trust and in all things was found equal to the occasion and the emergency, and now that he has been called to his reward it can truly be said, “well done thou good and faithful servant.”

Mr. Manship was born in the eastern part of Maryland in 1812, and was therefore in his 83rd year – four score and three.

In 1835 he landed at Vicksburg, en-route to Jackson, and being unable to procure a horse or other conveyance for love or money, he made the trip on foot, and for sixty years has been foremost in all things looking to the advancement and welfare of the home of his adoption.

A few years after his arrival in Jackson he was happily married to Miss Adaline Daley, who with ten of fifteen children they were blessed, survives him, as do also a large number of grandchildren.

In the latter part of the thirties and for several years Mr. Manship was clerk of the city, and during that time had charge of the building of the turnpike across the Pearl river bottom.  During the early sixties he was mayor and afterwards postmaster of the city.  He has served several terms as member of the board of aldermen, and for more than half a century has been a trustee of one or the other of the State’s charitable institutions.  When the Lunatic Asylum was first built he was empowered to go to Cincinnati and purchase the fixtures, which he did, in a highly satisfactory way.

The funeral will take place from the First Methodist church this afternoon at 4:30, and will no doubt be largely attended.  The services will be conducted by Bishop C. B. Galloway and Dr. A. F. Watkins, assisted by the members of Pearl Lodge No. 23, of which he has long been a well-beloved member.  The Fire Department of the city, of which Mr. Manship was really the father, the first company having been organized in his house, will also attend in a body to pay the last tribute to their departed friend and brother.

The honorary pall bearers are Gov. Stone, Gen. Lowry, J. A. Kausler, Judge Wharton, H. Spengler, Sr., Ned Farish, Col. Stewart, Major Barrows, Dr. Peter Fairly, Col. C. E. Hooker, H. H. Hines, Col. W. L. Hemingway.

The active pall bearers are Richard Griffith, Tony Spengler, W. A. Whiting, J. B. Lusk, C. C. Campbell, C. E. Elliot, T. P. Barr, J. H. Morris.

Daily Clarion Ledger, Saturday, June 22, 1895.