Map plates from "The Journal of Andrew Ellicott." From: The Journal of Andrew Ellicott, pl. B. Ohio River from Cincinnati to the Mississippi River.
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History has cataloged over 2,500 maps in its collection. They include hand-drawn sketches of towns, localities, plantations, and battlefields, as well as published maps from the sixteenth through twenty-first centuries.
MDAH has digitized over 590 maps for this online exhibit. The earliest is a triptych printed by the famous Dutch cartographer Abraham Ortelius in 1588, including La Florida, drawn by Geronimo Chaves. In his book The Southeast in Early Maps, William P. Cumming called La Florida "one of the half-dozen most important mother maps of southeastern North America." Several maps in the exhibit trace the history of Mississippi from early exploration through colonial expansion, the territorial period, and statehood. Others are hand-drawn plans and plats of towns, such as P.A. Van Dorn's original plan for the city of Jackson in 1822.
Many maps can also be found in other collections, such as official records and personal papers. One such example is included in this exhibit, the colorful hand-drawn map by B.L.C. Wailes of the town of Washington, Mississippi, from the town's 1838 Minute Book.